Sunday, January 1, 2012

Life Changes


Every year I have a lofty list of things I am going to do or change THIS NEXT YEAR but then nothing happens.  I mean nothing.  I may last a day, but usually not even that.   Things have changed this year though, I quit a job I had a love-hate relationship with, I got sick, my family got sick, and I then I got angry.  Very angry, and then I saw this: 




This was my tipping point. 

Yum, dollar tacos and curly fries, you might say.  But to me this lot is where I’d thought long and hard about opening a community tutoring center in the low income community I teach in.  It hadn’t been a complete pipe dream.  I’d worked out preliminary plans but never did anything with them.  I was waiting, but for what exactly?  I don’t really know.   The Jack in the Box reminds me of inaction and wasted intentions.  Then I started to think about all the things I never seem to do:

·      I love to cook but only do so in spurts.
·      I like to get outside and find adventures but I always seem to be working.
·      I get spurts of craftiness but they pewter out.
·      I want to make a meaningful positive impact on my community; I want to help people.
·      I want to learn another language.
·      I want to enjoy everyday instead of looking forward to someday. 

Therefore, I’m not making resolutions; just like diets, I don’t think they work.  Instead, I’m looking for a life change.  Bold? Yes.  But, I don’t like regrets and if I don’t make a change, I feel I might have a lot of regrets down the road. I want my life to be mine, controlled by me, not by work or by money or by materialistic desires. 

Here goes…

No comments:

Post a Comment